Counselor - Part Time
Company: Carmel Clay Parks and Recreation
Posted on: May 3, 2021
POSITION TITLE: Counselor
DIVISION: Extended School Enrichment
REPORTS TO: Site Supervisor
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt; $10 - $13
HOURS: Monday Friday 1:45 p.m. 6:15 p.m.
Purpose of Position:
The purpose of this position is to work with children in grades
K-6 as part of a team whose purpose is to competently and
enthusiastically create and facilitate enrichment activities,
assist with K-6 student homework, and provide a safe, enriching,
and character-driven environment for students enrolled in the
Extended School Enrichment (ESE) program (school-year).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not
to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be
required and assigned.
- Create, organize, and facilitate a variety of daily enrichment
and academic activities, including but not limited to arts, sports,
science, homework, and literacy.
- Consistently model and guide students in character development
through actions, activities, and dialogue.
- With team, plan and create detailed enrichment club activity
plans for 10 weeks at a time that corresponds to state standards
using established templates and guidelines.
- Implement and model respect for all spaces and materials used,
ensuring they are well maintained and left as found, including
buses and field trips
- With team, supervise up to 125+ children, from grades K 6,
throughout all aspects of the daily program.
- Attend and participate in professional development meetings and
- Use excellent customer service skills to establish and maintain
effective working relationships with other employees and all
members of the general public.
- Enforce applicable rules and regulations with program
- Ensure adherence to established safety procedures; monitor work
environment and use of safety equipment to ensure safety of
employees and other individuals.
- Follow program structure, including IEP and 504 plans, to
decrease disruptive camper behaviors and increase positivity and
- Provide CPR/first aid and CPI, in a calm professional manner,
- Ensure first aid supplies and emergency equipment are in order
- Maintain reliable attendance to maintain safety and the staff
to child ratio.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Perform other related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required to Perform Essential Job
- Basic typing, Internet, Word, and Excel skills.
- Reliable and organized, on time and accurate with paperwork and
- Capable of creatively problem-solving under pressure, both as
part of a team and independently.
- Enthusiastic and flexible about both learning and teaching new
- Able to act consistently as a role model and guide for behavior
and character development.
- Ability to assist K-6 students accurately with daily homework,
requiring understanding and instruction of math and literacy skills
up to a 6th grade level.
- Interact and communicate in a positive, professional manner
with team, students, and public.
- Ability to confidently and effectively manage student behavior
in a positive, respectful manner at all times.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions during periods of
high volume and under pressure from the public.
- Ability to maintain prompt and regular attendance.
- Ability to positively adhere to and enforce Carmel Clay Parks &
Recreation policy and procedures; implement emergency plans.
- Ability to work within moderate to loud environments associated
- Ability to work in the outdoor environment, with exposure to
weather, cold, heat, wind.
- Ability to provide first aid, CPR/AED, and CPI, in a calm,
- Ability to exert moderate physical effort, typically involving
some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and
that might involve the lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of
objects and materials weighing 10 pounds.
Qualifications Required to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- Must be at least 16 years of age and have access to reliable
- Must be First Aid and CPR/AED certified or be able to acquire
certification within 30 days of orientation, and maintain
- Must be CPI certified within 90 days of orientation, and
- Must obtain Stewards of Children certification within 6 months
of orientation and maintain certification.
- Must pass a background check that encompasses national, state,
and local searches, throughout employment.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
The Carmel Clay Board of Parks & Recreation is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with
Disabilities Act, the Board will provide reasonable accommodation
to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Keywords: Carmel Clay Parks and Recreation, Carmel , Counselor - Part Time, Other , Carmel, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!